In celebration of the Shore Update’s 25 year anniversary this month, we are all about the number 25!
To stay sane with the roller coaster of 25 years worth of deadlines, we’ve had to develop quite the sense of humor and learn to eat a lot of “humble pie.” With our mistakes, yes they happen despite our best efforts, mailed to 17,000 homes each week, we are constantly putting ourselves out there. No matter how hard we try to get everything right, get everyone’s info in the paper and make sure everything is accurate, it’s impossible for our small staff. In honor of 25 years of craziness, we want to poke a little fun at ourselves and share….
25 Things We Wish We Could Forget at the Shore Update
1 – 5. This past November, the wrong front cover was sent to our printer and PRINTED. Clueless, Cheri got a call from Michael who was mailing, “I thought you said Kentmorr was on the cover this week.” Once we figured out what had happened, Michael went back to the post offices to grab the bad batch, and we sent a new cover to the printer so the paper could be reprinted. We didn’t want to let Dave and Tammy down at Kentmorr as they were starting a new advertising campaign. In 25 years of publishing, nothing like this had ever happened, that’s why this mistake takes our top five spots.
6. A typo that should go down in the hall of fame was in one of our menu guides…. crab wraps became “crap” wraps. So much for spell check!
7. Our favorite typo was when Dominos took our front cover and we put a comma instead of a period in a coupon price. Pizzas were on sale that week for over $1,000! Thank goodness Andy Kent, the owner, had a sense of humor and continues to advertise today!
8. Text “slipping” when we used to paste things down. We opened each issue and looked at it with “one eye”… who knew what we would find.
9. “Fro”… yes it is a word spell check ignores. Whenever you see that in the paper, we mean “FOR!”
10. Expired coupons.
11. Forgetting ads.
12. The free stuff we give-away… it always comes back to bite us.
13. Cheri’s first front cover design for Radio Shack… telling customers to “Hurray in for a great deal”… instead of “Hurry!” Nothing like a mistake in 30pt. type on the front cover.
14. Front cover teaser ads directing readers to the wrong page inside.
15. Crazy characters printing instead of the font…. those are especially pleasant when they happen on the front cover.
16. Wrong parent’s name in a sports story.
17. Putting the wrong captions under pictures.
18. Auto correct. Need we say more?
19. Wrong business name in piece.
20. Printing the wrong ad.
21. Dropped artwork when the pages are sent to the printer.
22. Listing a house for sale for $329.00, not $329,000.
23. Leaving a business out of one of our dining guide, wedding, camp lists.
24. Some of the confirmation emails we send.
25. Leaving a classified… open house… yard sale listing out.