Saturday, May 16
Various locations throughout Dorchester County
Festivities begin at 10 a.m.
Celebrate unique traditions and history throughout Dorchester County during the 5th annual Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Day. Museums and historical attractions highlight their ongoing work and projects. This event features walking tours, food, kids’ activities, and more. For the first time, cycling tours led by local guides will give you a special view of the county. Each tour begins at 10 a.m. and includes stops at sites of interest. Reservations are required in advance.
Activities scheduled for Heritage Day include:
· Free sails on the Skipjack Nathan of Dorchester, departing from Long Wharf, Cambridge, from Noon – 4 p.m. www.skipjack-nathan.org
· 1-hour walking tours led by period-costumed guides along historic, brick High Street, Cambridge, by the West End Citizens Association, who will have a tent at Long Wharf. 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. www.cambridgemd.org
· Demonstrations on a machine that makes mother of pearl buttons at the Vienna Heritage Museum, downtown Vienna. www.viennamd.org/vhf.html
· Free tours of Handsell, a site listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Featuring a display of American woven coverlets, a recent archaeological dig, a timeline of the history of Handsell and Indiantown, and a display of original family letters circa 1814-1865. Refreshments will be sold. 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. www.restorehandsell.org
· The Dorchester Center for the Arts, featuring a gallery exhibit, will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Studioworks, the artisan’s gift shop within the Center, will also be open. www.dorchesterarts.org
· J. M. Clayton, Harriet Tubman Museum, Stanley Institute, Bucktown Village Store, and the Dorchester County Historical Society will also be participating.